This is how Kris prepares for a trip:
- Several days before we leave, she makes a list of things to do, which she follows assiduously.
- She carefully packs clothes based on the activities in which she thinks she'll participate.
- She brings a book and maybe one other thing to occupy her during down time.
- If we're going to prepare food on the trip, she goes to the grocery store and gets everything we need.
- She calls to double-check that everything is going as planned.
- Five minutes before we leave, I begin to tear around the house, looking for stuff to take.
- I figure I can probably just wear the clothes I have on now for most of the time, but I pack some extra underwear and t-shirts just in case. If we plan to go out to a nice meal, I pack something nice to wear, tough I regret not having ironed it.
- I get out a separate bag in which I pile a stack of books and CDs and DVDs. Then I might get out another bag for more books. Plus I carry a couple of books with me loose in the car.
- If we're going to prepare food on the trip, I tell Kris not to worry — we can just get groceries at our destination.
- As we're walking out the door, I realize that we don't have the address or phone number for our destination, so I have to hurriedly print it out from the internet.
On this day at foldedspace.org
2005 — Get Rich Slowly! Over the past few months, I've read over a dozen books on personal finance. Recurring themes have become evident. Today I'll share the collected wisdom of the financial wizards: the keys to wealth, prosperity, and happiness.
2004 — Memory Meme Post a memory of me in the comments. It can be anything you want. Then, of course, post this to your journal and see what people remember of you.
2002 — Mending the Frays Some my life's frayed edges have been mended. The fence has been repaired -- though the quality of the repair can still best be described as haphazard -- and we discovered what went wrong when I replaced the garbage disposal.
2001 — Anna Begins I've spent the last half hour bellering this song over and over. Also, more bike geekiness. Also, poetry. Also, I won't shut up.