Warning: sappy entry ahead.
My sweetie is thirty-three today.
Assorted facts about Kris Gates:
- Kris was conceived in Great Falls, Montana and born on Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.
- Because her father was in the air force, Kris grew up all over the world. She lived in Guam, in Texas, in Germany, in California, and in Hawaii. All of that moving around has made her very reluctant to move as an adult. (Contrast that with me: I've lived in the same place my entire life, and now and then get the itch to move far, far away.)
- Kris hated all of the moving around. When I first met Kris' sister, Tiffany, she told me a story about one move (the move to Hawaii?): Kris was so upset that she hid under a desk and would not come out. Her parents had to call in their pastor to coax her out.
- Kris chose Willamette University in Salem, Oregon for college. Why? I don't know, but I'm glad she did.
- We met in Professor Strelow's Thursday-evening Imaginative Writing class during the beginning of our sophomore year (a class we shared with Scott and Jim). I sat next to her one evening and, in a fit of typical J.D.-like clumsiness, I spilled tea all over her notebook. Soon after she began to let me use her word processor to type my papers.
- Kris was a great high school chemistry and physics teacher for eight years, but her heart just wasn't in it. Now she has her dream job: she's a forensic chemist for the Oregon State Police.
- Her favorite singers are Fiona Apple, Aimee Mann, and Natalie Merchant.
- Her favorite book is James Michener's The Source, which she's read at least a dozen times.
- Her favorite movie is Hopscotch with Walter Matthau and Glenda Jackson. Thanks to the Birthday Frog, she now owns it on DVD. (The VHS tape was a lousy, lousy print.) She also likes the mid-nineties adaptation of Pride and Prejudice.
- Her favorite television show was Homicide: Life on the Street (oh look — the Birthday Frog brought her that on DVD, too). Now she's partial to The West Wing and BBC America's What Not to Wear. (Sample exchange from "What Not to Wear" — Susannah: What is that? Fashion Victim: Somebody told me to wear yellow with black. Trinny: Who told you that? A leapord?) And the Mariners. Heaven forefend she miss a Mariners game on television.
- Kris is opinionated.
- Kris is stubborn.
- Kris is intelligent.
- Kris loves her cat, loves her garden, loves me.
- Most of all, though, Kris loves shoes. She has lots of shoes and she wants more.
- Her toes are her worst feature.
- She's learning a new hobby: silk ribbon embroidery.
- She loves to read the same books again and again. She's already chomping at the bit to reread Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. She's read the other Harry Potter books many times.
- Kris hates it when I reveal that she likes to read Nancy Drew. She has all 56 yellow-covered books, and is collecting the older versions, too. (The stories were re-written to modernize them during the sixties and seventies.) When she has nothing else to do, as often as not she'll pull down a Nancy Drew and read it.
- And the most important fact about Kris Gates: I love her! We've been together fourteen years, and we never grow tired of each other. We're a great team.
On this day at foldedspace.org
2004 — Update So much is happening: we're still moving, I now have a cell phone, the cats like the new house, we're falling behind on yardwork, etc. But we're happy!