I'm solicting suggestions for a new CD mix. I'd like to make a mix of happy, upbeat songs of self-empowerment: therapy through music. Any ideas? I'm willing to consider any sort of music, from the cheesy to the sublime.
For example, here are some candidate songs off the top of my head:
- "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips ("Why do lock yourself up in these chains? No one can change your life except for you.")
- "It's All Good" by Sinead O'Connor ("And positivity, it is the way for me: it is truth, it is youth.")
- "The Emperor's New Clothes" by Sinead O'Connor ("Whatever it may bring, I will live by my own policies. I will sleep with a clear conscience, I will sleep in peace.")
- "Extraordinary Machine" by Fiona Apple ("Be kind to me or treat me mean: I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine!")
- "Momentum" by Aimee Mann ("I hate to think of effort expended, all those minutes and days and hours I have frittered away.")
- "Bad" by U2 ("If I could through myself set your spirit free, I'd lead your heart away, see you break, break away into the light and to the day.")
This new compilation is about finding strength inside. It's about self-confidence, courage, direction. The lyrics and the music both need to be explicitly about self-mastery.
On this day at foldedspace.org
2004 — iTunes Top 25 What are you listening to lately? What songs do you find playing over-and-over? What groups do you love? What music would you like to share with others?
2003 — Best Song of the 80s In which I ask you for your favorite song of the 1980s.
2002 — 193-1/4 This afternoon I went to the gym for the first time in five months. The first thing I did was weigh-in: 193-1/4. Not great, but not bad, either. Certainly better than the 200 pounds I weighed at the beginning of the summer.