As I considered my favorite one-liners, I realized most of them are from my comfort films -- those films that I watch again and again and again, that I watch to take the sting off a bad day, that I watch just to kill time. These aren't the best films ever made, but they're my favorites.
This being the internet, I wondered if it was possible to find the scripts for each of my comfort films. Sure enough:
- This is Spinal Tap -- "This one goes to eleven."
- The Big Lebowski -- positively filled with memorable quotes, such as: "Nihilists! Fuck me. I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos."
- When Harry Met Sally -- "I'd like the pie heated and I don't want the ice cream on top, I want it on the side, and I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it, if not then no ice cream just whipped cream but only if it's real; if it's out of the can then nothing."
- The Princess Bride -- "INCONCEIVABLE!! "
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail -- "Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
- Buckaroo Banzai-- "Evil! Pure and simple from the eighth dimension!"
- Joe Versus the Volcano -- "I'm a flibbertigibbet."
- Alien -- "Ash, that transmission -- Mother's deciphered part of it. It doesn't look like an S.O.S."
- Blade Runner -- "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan -- "Khaaaaaaannn!!!"
I've been craving the seriously underrated (and misunderstood) Joe Versus the Volcano lately; I need to watch it soon.
Joe Versus the Volcano resources from around the web:
- Sound clips from the film.
- An interpretation of the film's symbolism.
- An essay comparing Joe Versus the Volcano and Kierkegaard.
- Joe Versus the Volcano links
- All about the Joe Versus the Volcano DVD
- Roger Ebert's review of Joe Versus the Volcano
On 13 March 2003 (10:16 AM), Dave said:
On 13 March 2003 (10:37 AM), J.D. said:
On 13 March 2003 (04:35 PM), Dana said:
On 13 March 2003 (08:44 PM), Nikchick said:
On 14 March 2003 (09:34 AM), J.D. said:
On 14 March 2003 (10:05 AM), joelah said:
On 14 March 2003 (03:28 PM), Dana said:
On 14 March 2003 (05:03 PM), J.D. said:
On 14 March 2003 (07:01 PM), Scott said:
On this day at foldedspace.org
2007 — Rating the Bond Films: The Brosnan Era In which I rate the last seven Bond films.
2006 — Nora In which Eleanor Pearl Briscoe comes into this world
2005 — Gadgets In which I play with my iMic (recording birdsong) and my Nikon d70 (photographing cats).
2004 — My Husband, the Chef In which describes the terrible ordeal of the Texas Sheetcake.