« 101.4 | Main | A Visit With Doctor Comic-Book-Guy »

26 April 2006 — Entrepreneurial (19)

Dad was an entrepreneur.

He was always starting businesses, or trying to help others start them. When I was very small he operated Steve's Lawnmowing Service. We still have the sign for this venture sitting out in the Custom Box Service warehouse. Nick loves it. So do I.

He also sold World's Finest Chocolates. He would bring boxes of chocolate bars with him to church, and sell them after Sunday School. I can remember standing on the front lawn of the Mormon church in Canby, waiting for Dad to sell chocolate bars to all the parents. (I can also remember getting into a box of chocolate bars one day, and eating two of them before Dad found me, smothered in goo.)

He tried lots of other things, too: he was a flight instructor, he sold Shaklee (I think), he raised nursery stock.

But his first real success came with Harvest Mills. Dad started Harvest Mills in the mid-seventies. He built a wheat grinder from scratch. He like it so much — and so did his friends — that he decided to sell them. He developed a system for manufacturing them in a production line. Then, further capitalizing on the craze for health food, he developed the Little Harvey food dryers. These were an enormous success, and before long he had purchased one of the first plots of land in what was to become the Woodburn Industrial Park. Harvest Mills was a success.

Dad sold the business in the late-seventies for a large sum of money. For reasons that are no longer clear to me, he never saw full payment for the business. (My memory is: he sold the business for $300,000 payable in ten yearly installments, and that the buyer went bankrupt and somehow we only saw the first payment.)

The next six or seven years were tense. It was the early eighties, and the economic outlook was poor. Dad moved from one sales position to another: selling staples, selling industrial supplies, selling boxes. On his fortieth birthday — 31 July 1985 — he left his job as a box salesman and founded what would become his biggest success: Custom Box Service.

Died died ten days before the business turned ten-years-old, but his children (and nephew) have kept it running since. None of us are entrepreneurs, though. We don't have that drive. Sometimes I sense a glimmer of it inside myself, but I recognize that in order to prosper as an entrepreneur, you need to be chasing a dream that you believe in one-hundred percent. Boxes are not my dream.

When I was a boy, Dad tried to get me to develop an entrepreneurial spirit, with mixed success. He encouraged me to sell seeds from a magazine. (I was too shy to knock on doors.) He tried to teach me to peel chittum bark that could be sold to god knows where for use as a natural laxative. (Carving bark from trees didn't appeal to me.)

The only entrepreneurial bits that took hold were those that I developed myself. In fourth grade, in order to generate money for new comic books, I would take my old comic books to school and sell them to the other students. I would take my Star Wars trading cards and repackage them, selling each thick package for twenty-five cents each. I sold my Hardy Boys books in much the same way.

Now, for the first time in twenty years, I'm beginning to feel a bit of that entrepreneurial spirit. I have an idea, a plan, a vision. I know of a way to do what I love and to make money at it.

I will become an entrepreneur.

On this day at foldedspace.org

2007A Crime Lab in the Trunk   In which Batman has a crime lab in the trunk.

2005Get Rich Slowly!   In which I read and summarize several financial self-help books.

Comments
On 27 April 2006 (12:50 AM), danny said:

Your dad had a die heart spirit. From rags to riches and then back to rags and again to riches. Who was the inspiration behind that? Entrepreneur in true sense. His story is really inspiring who r still in search of success. Hardship always pay. Now u want to be a entrepreneur. Hoping best for your future! Might have that ability in the blood.

On 27 April 2006 (08:02 AM), Amy Jo said:

When do you plan to unveil your new venture? I'm struggling to figure out which of the many loves you you'll pursue . . .

On 27 April 2006 (09:17 AM), Dave said:

Actually, those Little Harvey dryers are the way JD and I first met. My parents lived a couple of miles away and went to JD's parents' place to buy a food dryer because they'd heard how great they were for making fruit chips and other dried fruit things (fruit leather, etc. before the big food conglomerates started calling them "fruit rollups"). If I recall correctly, JD and I played in their yard while Steve sold my parents the dryer (one that he sold cheap because the racks weren't level and for some reason people wouldn't buy it- apparently they thought that bananas cared whether they were dried on a level screen or one that was sloped by 3-4 degrees).

On 27 April 2006 (10:45 AM), lee said:

Heh...food dryers. My mom bought one of those when I was a kid. I remember spending a great deal of time during my summers spreading chopped bell peppers, chopped onions, sliced apricots and plums onto the trays, scraping the dried food off later and packaging everything in plastic bags which were then heat sealed.

Other kids got to go swimming during the summer, but I got to dessicate food and make jam. Oh yeah, good times. :P

But, even then, as a wee youngster, having a food dryer never made sense to me. We lived in Central California, where days were routinely very hot and very dry. Why couldn't we just put the trays out in the sun and cover the food with some cheesecloth?

On 27 April 2006 (12:06 PM), Drew said:

Selling out to web advertising? Computer Resources buy out? Clever story idea?

Inquiring minds want to know.

On 27 April 2006 (12:17 PM), J.D. Roth said:

Right now I think I could make a million dollars by harnessing the temperature fluctuations in my body. Care to design that device for me, Drew?

On 27 April 2006 (08:50 PM), mrs darling said:

Dave bananas dont care if they're dried on a sloping shelf but stuff like fruit leather really does matter. Imagine all the liguid berries running to one end of the shelf. What a mess. And besides the mess, there'd be nothing to roll to make a fruit roll up. So straight shelves really are needed.

Aw the fruit we dried in Uncles Steves food drier! I'd almost forgotten.

On 05 May 2006 (02:29 AM), HRB said:

Want to have my own entrepreneur company similar to others to educate and share the benefits of others.

On 11 August 2006 (10:09 AM), Tom Robinson said:

I have one of your Dad's food dehydrators. It just gave out and I need a replacement heating element. It is cone shaped and screws into a ceramic light socket in the machine. Do you know where I can get the cone shaped heating element? It is 1000 watt and 120 volt.

Tom Robinson

On 26 October 2006 (08:03 PM), susan said:

I also have one of those food dryers. My parents purchased it in 1978 from Harvest Mills in Woodburn. It does not maintain proper temperature and I was looking for repair/maintenance information. Sounds like my search will be unsuccessful. I don't need another antique around here.

On 15 November 2006 (01:53 PM), Debbie B. said:

I also have a Harvest Mills dehydrator with a burned out element. It quit a few weeks ago and the Camby Chamber of C. gave me this site to see if I can get any info. Maybe you should go back into that business. It is a great dehydrator and I would love to get it fixed. Do you know who made the elements?

On 01 February 2007 (10:04 PM), Kimber said:

My Little Harvey heating component went out too. We haven't been able to find a replacement part. My uncle is an electrician and looked at it and we took it in to a repair store, but they said they can't fix it. If you have any luck, please let me know. Or does anyone know of another good dehydrator for fruit leather that has rectangular trays?

On 27 August 2007 (05:12 PM), Martha said:

Anybody found a place to replace burned out elements? Help!!

On 27 September 2007 (01:15 PM), Genia said:

YES! Found the heating element.
Generically, it's a "cone heater", 120V, 660W.
It's available from 2 sources:

Part# CS1003-02
$23/ea, minimum order: 2 pieces
Phone: 630-289-9393

Part# EBCH-120/600
(That's 600W, but you can ask them to make a 660W)
$25.50, minimum order: 1 piece
Phone: (206) 682-3414

On 21 June 2008 (05:49 PM), warren said:

I have a "Little Harvey" and we love it; however, the motor has finally burned out. Does anyone out there know where I can get a replacement? If so, could you let me know at swaller@hughes.net ?
Thanks, Warren

On 07 July 2008 (10:34 AM), Bryan said:

I have a "Little Harvey" and it works great. It is the best every. You need to start making them again. Simple style yet works great.

On 04 September 2008 (05:57 PM), Lora said:

I have a Little Harvey It works really nice but
the thermostat is bad. Do you know where we could
purchase one ?

On 16 October 2008 (07:44 PM), sheree said:

I inheritetd my LITTLE HARVEY from my Dad. I used it very sucessfully, then stored it for seven years. NOW, out of storage, I'm excited to use again. Sure hope it works....I made apples, peppers and venison jerky. Wonderful !!!

On 28 November 2008 (12:48 PM), W. Glen Weeks said:

Mr. Roth,
I can tell you a lot about your dad's Little Harvey business. I was his biggest distributor, and ultimately arranged for the sale of his business. He told me he had a history of heart disease and didn't want to go early from business stress.
What I really need from you is not only a cal-rod heating element for a Harvey (for a customer), but a unit for myself. I was forced to sell everything when your dad was.
Contact me at my email, with your phone number, if you'd be so kind.
WGW