« Dietary Resource Page | Main | A Map in My Heart »

16 April 2006 — Madworld (11)

I hate seeing the pop songs of my youth co-opted for advertising. "Our House" by Madness used to advertise Maxell House coffee?

Jesus wept.

"I Melt With You" by Modern English used to promote Ritz Crackers?

Don't break my heart!

What's next?

U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" in a V8 commerical? "Forever Young" by Alphaville used to sell knives?

On this day at foldedspace.org

2007A Weekend of Stories   In which I rise from the tub, naked. In which I nearly kill myself with a chainsaw. In which we sneak into Will and Marla's house.

2005The Education of Henry Adams   In which I am fascinated by the autobiography of Henry Adams, who was a very introspective man.

2004Geek Squad   In which I grew up a geek (especially in junior high).

Comments
On 16 April 2006 (11:39 PM), Lee said:

You'd think "I Melt with You" would be used for Velveeta...

On 17 April 2006 (06:39 AM), pril said:

i think it just annoys me to see good songs used for commercials. Iggy Pop on the Carnival Cruise line commercial is the one that makes me choke every time. Then, Squeeze's "Tempted" for, i think, a jeans commercial? The Cure's "Pictures of You" for some printer!! A while ago, there was "I feel free" by Cream for a car... and that's a Cream song you don't hear very often.

Somethin weird happened with the band on the coast i was in.... we picked like 7 songs to do, and then about a month after we got them down and were playing them, all 7 of them were suddenly all over the TV on commercials. so that was weird.

On 17 April 2006 (06:46 AM), tammy said:

I hate seeing the Bible verses I learned as a youth co-opted for dramatic effect on someones blog.

It breaks my heart.

On 17 April 2006 (07:17 AM), J.D. said:

Touché, Tammy.

That was always our favorite Bible verse because it's the shortest.

On 17 April 2006 (07:21 AM), toast said:

Concerning John 11:35 -- how did Jesus know that Satan wasn't tempting him to perform a self serving miracle when his friend Lazarus died?

As for the artists, I'm sure they're using the money to build a conservatory for mid-80's pop. Moby makes similar compromises to fund PETA.

On 17 April 2006 (08:38 AM), tammy said:

I bet you thought about me when you wrote that in there and was not surprised when I commented!:)

On 17 April 2006 (11:05 AM), Dave said:

Wouldn't Oil of Olay want to use "Forever Young"?

On 17 April 2006 (11:34 AM), Jethro said:

The Bush Administration could use "Der Commissar"...

On 17 April 2006 (12:43 PM), Dave said:

Or Amerika Uber Alles.

On 17 April 2006 (03:47 PM), Nikchick said:

Chris has long complained about the trend of taking punk songs for advertising, the worst of which has got to be the recent Chunky Chips Ahoy commercial, where the Chips Ahoy cookie and four claymation "punks" with spiked hair and leather jackets jump around singing "Punky Chips Ahoy, oi, oi, oi!"

Punk rock is all about mass produced chocolate chip cookies, ya know?

On 18 April 2006 (10:12 AM), Lynn said:

I agree, the Chips Ahoy commercial was pure blasphemy.