« Bushtits | Main | Too Hot »

23 June 2006 — Three Kittens (14)

Custom Box Service has three kittens.

Earlier in the week, Jeff startled a black cat from the lawnmower shed. She took off like a flash. Yesterday he discovered three hungry kittens in the same shed, hiding under some tarps. The black cat must be there mother, but there's no sign of her now. Unfortunately, Mama Cat may have abandoned her babies.

The three kittens — which are as adorable — are hungry. We don't know how old they are, or what to feed them. We have a case of cat food from several years ago — the cans are marked "best by July 04". We figure it's our best choice. I gave them each a dollop of wet food this morning. One devoured it, another munched on it idly, and the third ignored it completely.

Later I took out a bowl of water, but my little friends were oblivious to it. They walked through it, stumbled in it, stuck their noses in it, but they did not drink.

What should we feed a trio of kittens that are a few weeks old? They don't seem big enough to be weaned. (They may only be a couple weeks old. As I say, we can't tell how old they are.) Is wet cat food safe? Should we get them some milk?

They already have little personalities. One of the grey kittens likes to follow the guys around the lawn. The black kitten has an amazing set of lungs, and its wailing can be heard from a great distance.

But I have to tell myself not to get attached to these babies. The odds that they'll survive are near zero. It's hard, though. I love kittens. I really do.

Comments
On 23 June 2006 (12:33 PM), Janet said:

These kittens are at least 5 weeks old, probably older, based on how they look on the web. Kittens do not get their eyes open for at least a week and don't crawl well for about 3 weeks. It appears these guys are up and doing well walking around. For food, get a bowl of room remperature to warm milk and literally stick their noses in it so it gets all over their face....they will lick it off and soon understand what the milk really is. This may take a few tries each day. Most kittens can easily be weaned at six to eight weeks...so they should survive, but you will need to help the situation along. Wet cat food is OK, they just don't really know what to do with it yet. They may also need a way to keep warm at night...mama cats are good for that! Good luck with your new family!

On 23 June 2006 (01:20 PM), Amanda said:

I am a bit of a cat expert. As Janet says, these kittens look to be about 5 weeks old and are very viable. I caution you *not* to feed them wet cat food OR milk. Both are really bad for cats. I suggest buying some high quality kitten food at a pet food store (perhaps laced with some wet food to tempt them). In any event, I wouldn't be concerned about their survival, as they are well past the critical stage. Call a vet, ask for some direction and you'll have yourself 3 beautiful cats in no time.

Good luck! They look precious. :o)

P.S. They will figure out the water situation. Also, if you're so inclined, they will also figure out a litter box on their own. They may still be young enough that you will have to wipe down their bottoms with a warm, moist rag to help them go to the bathroom (simulating their mother's tongue) but, again, a vet could direct you on this very easily. Kittens are easy! I hand raised 3 less-than-1-week-old kittens when I was but a teenager and it was a wonderful experience.

On 23 June 2006 (02:13 PM), Drew said:

Damn! No hope of you taking Atticus now.

On 23 June 2006 (03:36 PM), Bill Hooker said:

Further to the above, (most? all?) cats are lactose intolerant, so milk will probably upset their tummies.

The best thing to do would be to get them a checkup at the vet, and at the same time get advice on feeding and care. The vet can tell you how old they are, what condition they are in, and what to do next, and can probably also help you find them another family.

On 24 June 2006 (02:50 PM), Amy Jo said:

I WANT TO ADOPT THE BLACK KITTEN. I'LL TAKE HIM OR HER PRONTO. IT IS MY BIRTHDAY NEXT WEEK . . . .

On 24 June 2006 (10:04 PM), Kristin said:

I remember using special kitten formula/milk replacement for orphan kitties. You should be able to get it at a veterinary office or pet supply store. For the really tiny ones you can feed with a syringe, but these guys should be able to learn to lap.

On 26 June 2006 (02:34 PM), Jeff said:

According to Noah, their names are Pippy, Sandy, and All Black... but don't ask me which one is Pippy and which one is Sandy! ;-)

On 26 June 2006 (08:58 PM), Mom said:

I'm taking one of the grey kittens so I will have to consider one of Noah's names for it, although I make no guarantees. :-) His other Grandma Sandy might find it confusing if this grandma had a cat named after her. J.D. is already calling one of the grey ones Elmer, despite thinking it is a girl. I guess I'll wait and see which kitten I get and what its gender is before I decide on a name, although Pippy is always a possibility. (A grandmother doesn't easily turn down a grandson's suggestion.)

On 27 June 2006 (11:35 AM), Amy Jo said:

Duke (the black kitten) and Max (the male grey kitten) are doing well in their new home. I'm happy to report that both are eating with enthusiasm and drinking plenty of water. They are just beginning to discover how to play. Duke enjoys a good wrestle.

On 02 July 2006 (01:22 PM), marissa said:

i love the black little kitten it is so cute .

On 20 December 2007 (08:17 PM), kimmy said:

hey ur kittens they r so cute i love the color of them two they r so cute i have a kitten two she very cute.

On 29 December 2007 (09:40 AM), Erin said:

I have an adult male black cat and he too has amazing lungs...and a real chatterbox. He is filled with personality. This black kitten looks so cute, like how my kitty must have looked like when he was a baby.

On 10 January 2008 (06:41 PM), bttie malsoln said:

this kitten look just like mine i saved mine when we was 2 weeks old. he was abanded by his mom so i had to feed him kitten forula in a very small bottle this was in the summer i had to get up every 2 hours it staed in a cat carrier at night and during the day iu watch him play in the grass and now he is 7 months old his sister form his litter from next door stared to stick arroundand now im looking after her.

On 23 April 2008 (12:14 AM), Bryah de Avellon said:

My advice for you is to buy some kitten milk from a super market( DO NOT GIVE THEM COW MILK)
Once they start getting older you shall not need to give it to them any more but it is safe to give them wet food but make sure it is in date. But get Snappy Tom or in dry food you should get Purina One or Optimum in a kitten formula. I am a cat breeder so trust me on this the kittens you have taken in look around 4-5 weeks old and by the looks they look like Rushan Blues or British short hairs. ( DO NOT LET THEM OUT SIDE UNTIL THEY ARE ATLEAST * WEEKS OLD) and you will need to get them wormed and have there needles at a local vet very soon!