« Back to the Future | Main | Can I Get an iPhone? »

05 January 2007 — Movie Preview: The Golden Compass (22)

There's a film coming next winter — it's set to open on December 7th — that's sure to excite many of my friends as much (or more than) the next Harry Potter movie. Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is finally being turned into a major studio production, and the stills from first film have been released. Here are ten of them.

These are from The Golden Compass (which is known as Northern Lights in the U.K.). The second part is The Subtle Knife and the third is The Amber Spyglass.

[Lyra walking across chairs]
This must be near the beginning of the film: Lyra roaming Oxford.

[Daniel Craig is Lord Asriel]
Daniel Craig, the latest James Bond, is Lord Asriel.

[Nicole Kidman is Mrs. Coulter]
Nicole Kidman should make an excellent Mrs. Coulter.

[Sam Elliott is Lee Scoresby]
Sam Elliott is Lee Scoresby. "Sometimes there's a man..."

[Coulter meets Lyra]
Coulter meets Lyra. Run, Lyra, run!

[more Coulter]

[Scoresby meets Lyra]
Scoresby to the rescue.

[in the snow...]

[Coulter is a force of nature]

[Lyra with the compass]
Lyra with the titular golden compass.

No Iorek yet (I can't wait) and no daemons. Digital effects take longer to produce, of course, so we probably won't see examples of those until the summer at least. Still, I'm heartened by these stills. Kris and I are excited by what we see.

On this day at foldedspace.org

2006Alas, Chantico, I Hardly Knew Thee   In which my beloved chantico has been retired; in which my camera battery is dead; in which I cannot find a quotation.

Comments
On 05 January 2007 (12:45 PM), tim said:

I've been attempting to mimic Sam Elliot's voice for the better part of my adult life. Yeah, I know, that had nothing to do with the films, it just felt like a perfect time to throw out that bit of "Tim-trivia."

On 05 January 2007 (12:54 PM), mac said:

Makes me want to re-read the books!

On 05 January 2007 (03:10 PM), Dean said:

I'm not a huge reader. The His Dark Materials trilogy are pretty much the only books I've read since graduating high school in 2000, and I loved 'em. I'm really happy that we're going to have movie adaptations for the books - looks like we're in for an exciting fall/winter lineup in 2007.

On 07 January 2007 (09:17 AM), Lisa said:

Intriguing. The casting is excellent, but I'm still quite reluctant to risk having a movie spoil my mental images of such a great book. So far, so good, however. I love the atmospheric quality of the stills.

On 08 January 2007 (03:16 PM), Kim said:

please call me at audubon magazine regarding your opal creek photo. 212 979 3132. thanks.

On 08 January 2007 (08:43 PM), Susan said:

To this day one of the most heart-rending, soul-shattering images I carry around with me is the sight of the boy who'd been separated, literally cut off from his daemon and was carrying around a fish in its place. He was completely destroyed, and it destroyed me.

On 17 January 2007 (04:53 PM), Alicia Nordstrum said:

So far no-one is talking about the storm brewing what with the potential for the conservative church bound to take offense ... could be interesting days to come ... the arguement is well formed at the open critic ... article link for those interested is http://theopencritic.com/?p=21 ... could be worth checking out before the s--- hits the fan

Alicia

And the stills are beautiful by the way.

On 13 February 2007 (07:34 AM), dan said:

On 13 February 2007 (07:34 AM), dan said:

On 13 February 2007 (07:35 AM), dan said:

On 13 February 2007 (07:35 AM), dan said:

On 13 February 2007 (07:35 AM), dan said:

On 13 February 2007 (07:35 AM), dan said:

On 13 February 2007 (07:35 AM), dan said:

On 23 November 2007 (12:50 PM), Oksana-gm said:

On 23 November 2007 (12:50 PM), Oksana-gm said:

On 28 November 2007 (01:42 PM), jenna said:

the book was great and so was the second book iit is very very cool phillip must have alot of imaginatiom :)

On 28 November 2007 (01:42 PM), jenna said:

On 28 November 2007 (01:42 PM), jenna said:

On 28 November 2007 (01:42 PM), jenna said:

On 04 December 2007 (01:34 PM), Charles R. Sears II said:

I just saw the film,The Golden Compass last night here in San Francisco at a press screening/preview.I think it is going to be part 1 of a series because I was left "out in left field" about the ending.Not having read any of the books this film is based on,I just liked the previews on television and the controversy etc.I didn't see what it was all about from the movie..it was pretty well sanitised.I loved the special effects and the sets..and of course Nicole Kidman,Daniel Craig,Sam Elliott,etc.If only life could be as simple and as calm as that in the future,and who is to say there are not universe's running concurrent with ours or time running in a straight line instead of past and future? I have had some strange things happen to me in my lifetime..seeing flying saucer's,ghost's,having premonitions,visions,esp episodes,being regressed,etc.It all happens if one lets themselves be open to the possibilities in their life,and to having the experience.

On 02 February 2008 (04:23 PM), Betty said:

interest of those companies, considered as the sovereigns of the http://idisk.mac.com/honeymoondestination/Public/4/backyard-destinations.html >backyard destinations paper in the room of a great part of this gold and silver, enable the